All children are gifted, some just open their presents differently. author unknown.



Saturday, September 17, 2011

Research Simulation Topic

The broad area I selected for research was infant-toddler mental health.  I have completed the four modules of PITC (http://www.pitc.org/) and while infant-toddler mental health was included in these modules, it was in an overview manner.  Because the development that occurs in the infant-toddler years is the basis for all other development it is an especially critical time.  I have worked in the infant-toddler field as an eligiblity/intake specialist for the Early Intervention program in my state and as a program coordinator for Early Head Start.  Again while I touched on the area of mental health in this age group, it was on the surface. 
The subarea that I have elected to focus on combines my current employment as a behavior therapist.  I think that looking into the possible connection between language delays in the infant-toddler years and social emotional development will be personally and professionally fulfilling. 
Language development is known to impact all other developmental domains and since social emotional expression is reliant on communication it would seem common sense that there would be a connection and understanding this connection can provide guidance to parents, child care providers and teachers as they work with at-risk and children with identified delays.  The understanding of this early age connection can also supports those who work with older children and adults that are developmentally at an early stage with social-emotional development progress and continue to develop pro-social skills.

4 comments:

  1. Lora,

    The topic of infant-toddler mental health is a topic i have heard very little about. I know very little about it, really just the basics. The first few years of life are the most fragile yet resilient and so much placed upon those years. You make some key points in the areas of infant-toddler mental health and development of language. I look forward to your posts on the connections between language and social-emotional development.

    Rica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am excited to learn more about infant-toddler mental health. As an elementary special eduation teacher I know the importance of children being identified and interventions taking place in regards to their disability. therefore, I too look forward to the connection between language and social-emotional development. Thanks Lora.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora,

    Infant-toddler mental health is a newer field but such an important one. Most people don't believe a baby could be depressed or anxious, but yet those of us who have worked in the field know it's true. If a young child is experiencing mental health issues I too believe it impacts many other areas of development. Language skills are so important in a child's development anything which can help a child to communicate is important! I look forward to hearing more of what you discover.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lora, your topic of choice sounds very interesting and heavy duty. I am looking forward to reading what you share. I choose literacy for my topic so hopefully I can be supportive of you in some manner with what I learn. Happy blogging,

    ReplyDelete