I am disappointed to say that my new learning from this course is very limited. I have become aware through the 8 weeks of this course, that not all of the participants in this program have the same basis and understanding of evidence based practices and professionalism. I am amazed at how the course resources in particular weeks can focus on professionalism, confidentiality and bias, and yet course peers can demonstrate non of these characteristics in the course of the board discussions.
I am disgusted at the choice of course text because it does not seem like a graduate level publication. I have tolerated the course text with gritted teeth after reading the passage from week 3 "The likelihood of being a research victim increases if one suffers from more than one of these vulnerabilities" (MacNaughton, Rolfe, & Sirij-Blatchford, 2010, p73) with the vulnerabilities being listed as prisoners, the mentally disabled, those living in poverty and children. Children certainly do not SUFFER from childhood, and the reference of those with disabilities SUFFERING from their diagnosis is so absolutely professionally inappropriate. The authors of the text apparently are not aware of person first language , nor the important of not referring to disabilities as maladies that inflect suffering. The walden chairperson for the course, however as an early childhood professional, should be considering that multiple courses in the program are designed to investigate diversity and the appropriate ways to be inclusive.
No comments:
Post a Comment